Achtung Amy!

Natural blonde...just trying to navigate the seas of life.

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

I'm No Paris Hilton, but I crave the Simple Life

How can I be 32 years old and already craving the simple life? Oh how it beckons me! I don't even have a yard, mortgage, grand kids...even kids or a husband for that matter! I've come to such a yearning as a result of a trip to Yellowstone last week. I spent 5 fabulous days without a telephone, radio, TV, work, and a shower. (Okay, truth is I missed my shower). The trip was amazing!!! I was there with my family and Fletcher. The only thing missing was my wonderful friends, my cute little kitties and (again) my shower. Other than that...I didn't want to come back to SLC AT ALL!! I want to move far way from it all...just walk away and settle down in the country and be as weird and queer as those country folk are. I think I'd love it. While there we saw: swans, pelicans, elk. mule deer, grizzly bears, a yellow belly marmot, blue jays, yellow birds, snakes, bald eagles, a wolf, coyote, beaver, buffalo, and many more of God's creatures. I miss....

- the beautiful vistas, winding rivers, pines, the stars, cool days and even cooler nights.
- Buffalo and their traffic jams and their little detours through our campsite.
- the silent nights except for faint crickets and frogs along with the occasional Yellowstone baboon call (not really a baboon...not sure what it was but it sounded like it should be in the jungle).
- eating my breakfast with a view of the winding Gibbon river as I watch a grizzly bear track the scent of its breakfast.
- the smell of sulfur from abounding hotpots and geysers along with the scent of afternoon rain showers and the noise the drops made on my tent.
- I miss Huckleberry ice-cream (alot) and my dad's heavenly campfire scramble eggs.
- I miss my mom and my dad...and Sarah, John, Jeff, Kim, Ann, Buzz, Kylie Sue, McKenna and my Ty Guy.
- I miss dining with Fletcher in the historic Yellowstone Lake Hotel overlooking the water and watching the Pelicans that make it their playground. (I love the expression on his face when he saw bald eagles, Quake Lake, a coyote, The Grand Tetons and the explosion of Grand Geyser 200 feet in the air.)
- I miss the view of the Lower Falls of the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone but I do not miss the 600+ stairs of Uncle Tom's Trail it took to get me there.
- I miss my childhood as I spent many summers in Yellowstone growing up and this trip took me back to those magical days.

I gotta go back soon! I belong there.

Quake Lake (& two bald eagles)
Chillin' at our campsite with the buffs

My cute Kylie Sue loves camping!

View from Uncle Tom's Trail (with the 600 stairs...worth the effort)